The Nation of Urizen

A Board for Players of Profound Decisions' Empire Larp, from the Urizen nation.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What We Know So Far - Monstering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Camillius

Character sheet
IC Name: Camillius
Spire:
Archetype: Seer

PostSubject: What We Know So Far - Monstering   Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 am

A comment from Matt P - it seems that Empire will include a fairly heavy element of combat against outside forces rather than just nation vs nation.
To this end, it's encouraged and expected that players will volunteer some time to play 'monsters' for battles in which their characters are not taking part.

Another comment from matt that deserves a wider audience...

"Volunteering is going to be part of the social contract of Empire. Fundamentally it's either that or we double the ticket price and have 400 crew. I'm happy with either approach but believe the former is more effective than the latter, both in terms of player enjoyment and value for money and in terms of people coming to the event.

It won't be a requirement, lots of people "don't do LRP fighting" but if you want to go and play in the battles then you'll be expected to monster as many as you play. If you don't want to volunteer to monster then that is absolutely fine and there is no problem at all, but you'll need to opt out of playing the battles also, to achieve quid-pro-quo. Otherwise, given the social contract, you're just free-riding on those who do volunteer which is unfair.

I realize that some players won't like that approach and that is totally cool. LRP is a big hobby, there are lots of games to play! Many of which don't require you to volunteer to monster. One I can heartily recommend is the excellent Odyssey game run by one Profound Decisions which you can book for here: http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/event/Tickets?1 - but unfortunately Empire may not be the game for you.

Bear in mind that we plan to have enough permanent crew to monster skirmishes and similar without needing volunteers. So you're actually talking volunteering for 2 hours out of a three day event...

For me, as I've said a few times, the key is to make monstering as much fun as humanly possible. At the end of the day we're a LRP company, we make our profit by selling people tickets to attend the event and the whole event is your experience. It's just as valid to enjoy monstering as it is to enjoy playing, we're not trying to make playing fun, we're trying to make your whole event fun, so we'll be focussing on ways to make monstering the battles fun the same as we'll be focussing on ways to make playing the battles fun. Of course the latter is easier than the former, but my point is that our focus, as a company, is on making your whole event fun."
Back to top Go down
Camillius

Character sheet
IC Name: Camillius
Spire:
Archetype: Seer

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Monstering   Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Much as I like PDs idea here to be able to build large battles for us to participate in, I can see two flaws.. which I'll be interested to see how this is addressed.

Firstly.. there is a hint here that we're giving up a small amount of time for the battles... which in turn suggests that we'll only be able to participate in 1 or 2 battles per event as a player and same as a character. So I forsee 4 battles per event. Friday night, 2 on Saturday, Sunday morning. Of which maybe players can only fight in 1 and monster in a 2nd?

Second.. If we're expected to be monstering in at least 1 of the battles... how is it expected that we'll justify our characters no longer being present in the non-battle field while this is going on? With such large numbers expected to vanish from the field to go monster at once... there should perhaps be an IC justification for so many people to disappear for an hour or two?
Back to top Go down

What We Know So Far - Monstering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation of Urizen :: Public Boards :: General Chat-
Jump to: