The Nation of Urizen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Nation of Urizen

A Board for Players of Profound Decisions' Empire Larp, from the Urizen nation.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What We Know So Far - Armour

Go down 
+4
Maninblue
cheezewizz2000
Marcus
Camillius
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Camillius

Camillius

Character sheet
IC Name: Camillius
Spire:
Archetype: Seer

What We Know So Far - Armour Empty
PostSubject: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:23 am

OK.. something new on armour.

Mages cannot have any. Least not in terms of being able to cast spells.

We have been told that no one will need a character skill to wear armour. Anyone can put it on and get full benefit of it's protection.

However.. for those poor mages, there will be a new category of armour... Mage Armour.
What this will actually look like isn't yet determined (PD are actually interested in hearing any ideas we might have for these), but Mage armour is effectively something that will be worn over the top of normal costume (like armour) to provide a magical effect (such as protection).

It will have to LOOK the part, but doesn't necessarily have to be metal or leather (and in fact might be better if it looks like neither).

Mage Armour WILL require a skill to wear & use.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Marcus

Character sheet
IC Name: Marcus
Spire: Endsmeet
Archetype: Architect

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 am

What We Know So Far - Armour 86410

This for Urizen, with the centre painted like a gem stone (or replaced with one), maybe the ends painted glowing blue?
Back to top Go down
https://urizen.forumotion.com
cheezewizz2000

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Hmm... mage armour. Can anyone think of a way to suspend a hoop around the head, arms and waist of a person so that they hang freely and don't touch the skin?

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTtnI2mRp74

Or perhaps just wristbands belts, and circlets made of glowsticks? I know that sounds tacky, but there might be a way that you can make a hat, belt, and bracelets that you can load them into to reduce the tack. The advantage of that is that they have a definite duration. no glow? No armour.
Back to top Go down
Marcus

Marcus

Character sheet
IC Name: Marcus
Spire: Endsmeet
Archetype: Architect

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Stolen from Empire FAQ

Q6 (05/09/12): I have also heard that magic users will be limited in thier choice of armour, is this correct

A6 (05/09/12) : (Andy Raff) Armour-wise, current thinking is that mages cannot wear armour and cast spells or perform rituals. There is likely to be a skill option to wear "mage armour" however which provides some benefits as armour and allows the wearing of crafted armour. The benefits of crafted mage armour are likely to empower spellcasting rather than fighting, and will use different coverage ( I recall pectorals and gorgets and bracers and such being mentioned). Mage armour ideally looks like magical armour; rune encrusted chest pieces and hats rather than plate breastplates and helmets.
Back to top Go down
https://urizen.forumotion.com
Maninblue

Character sheet
IC Name: Vaan
Spire: Auric Horizon
Archetype: Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

There was an additional clarification to that:
Mage Armour will provide some additional hits, though probably only as good as Light Armour, rather than the kind of benefits they are talking about with Plate.
Back to top Go down
Maninblue

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 am

The current feel of Mage Armour is as follows...

"The Mage Armour rules are in final stage of development and I'm keen to get them out ASAP so people can start making/commissioning the stuff.

There's no requirement for mage armour to have gems in it, but we'd ideally like it to look "magical" - embelished with runes, gems, magic things that kinda stuff. It represents a focus or device for channeling your magic - it doesn't look like armour because physically it has the stopping power of a paper bag. When you put it on and empower it with your magery, though, it grants extra body hits and (if it's a crafted set) other benefits depending on the type.

At the moment there's a few questions still outstanding, but for the most part it uses different "coverage" rules to boring old mundane armour. Rather than head, chest, legs and arms we talk in terms of neck, head, shoulders, wrists, shins and belly (hero belts for the win!) It's worn with 'soft kit' because at the end of the day it's all about making the magicians in Empire look like magicians, and feel like magicians, rather than soldiers who happen to know a few spells.

Hope thats a bit helpful"
Back to top Go down
Camillius

Camillius

Character sheet
Spire:

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 10:56 am

From the Empire Wiki FAQ:

Magicians cannot wear normal armour while casting any spells or rituals. They have the option to purchase a skill called mage armour which gives them an option to wear magical armour specifically designed for casting spells. Mage armour is a magical talisman that protects you against harm but allows you to cast spells. The talisman is made up of several pieces fitted to the wearer's body to protect them. The parts of the talisman superficially resemble pieces of armour, but armour that is ornate and ceremonial rather than practical. They are often decorated with runes, crystals, gems or other magical accoutrements and it is clear that the armour protects the wearer through magic rather than by physically deflecting blows.

Mage armour must cover at least 3 locations including one of the chest, shoulders or waist. The suggested pieces for mage armour are: Pauldrons (shoulders), Pectoral (upper chest), Hero Belt (waist), Circlet (head), Vambraces (wrists), Gorget (neck), Greaves (lower legs). The items must be substantial and cover a significant portion of the area but it is possible to use a single pauldron, greave or vambrace if appropriate for the costume.

Although mage armour is magical in nature, if you have purchased this skill then you are considered to have access to a suit of mage armour, in the same way a warrior has access to a suit of mundane armour.

Mage Armour can be made out of any real world material, provided you try to make as clear as possible that your character is wearing magical protection and not mundane armour.

Back to top Go down
Island Gorilla

Character sheet
IC Name: Nihils
Spire: Phoenix Reach

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:58 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really hoping there's a ritual to buff up Mage Armour. Even with Heal, vulnerability to Cleave is a little less than I was hoping for.
Back to top Go down
Thor Odinson

Character sheet
IC Name: Thor
Spire: HAMMER
Archetype: HAMMER

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Hey Island Gorilla - Colin Here Wink

I see what you mean - There are enchantments for weapons, so why not armour. There does appear to be a fairly low 'Ceiling' for a few of skills - which can be good, as it makes people a lot more equal on the field, but at the same time may de-power people who have been there or built up characters for a while.

I hope that the magical stuff will be the equivalent of 'Talismances' in strom.
I'm liking how weapon enchantments last a year as it means that people will feel the need to use them so as not to waste the original Mana, materials, Laio or whatever.

I guess its a case of waiting until rituals are released. There is a lot of cool stuff to get started with though!
Back to top Go down
Maninblue

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Some of the suggestions for enchanted Mage armour match up with Light armour, but there are also a few "cast x spell for 1 mana rather than 2".
Implies that we're paying 2 points for light armour that helps our magic, not just light armour that lets us use magic.
Back to top Go down
Daedalos

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm planning on mage armour myself, I spent some of last night pulling apart Christmas tree lights, I'm planning on shortening the circuit and hiding under a gorget / Pauldrons and use the lights which will be under mounted costume jewerly to make it light up for eerie blue glow.

Might look pants but I'm hoping it'll look good, only one way to find out is to keep at it.
Back to top Go down
Island Gorilla

Character sheet
IC Name: Nihils
Spire: Phoenix Reach

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 8:41 pm

That sounds like it could be cool, Daedalos.
Enchanted Mage Armour that makes spells cheaper could be brutal. We're allowed to invent new rituals, right? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Camillius

Camillius

Character sheet
Spire:

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 pm

We're allowed to TRY to invent new rituals. No idea how that's going to work yet - since we'd only be guessing at requirements in terms of lore and mana.
Back to top Go down
FavouredEnemy

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 am

Zendrik wrote:
We're allowed to TRY to invent new rituals. No idea how that's going to work yet - since we'd only be guessing at requirements in terms of lore and mana.

I believe it's 'go see a ref, ask to do a ritual to achieve X, they will say what they think it will take to cast'. Actual research (skill point buys?) would permanently add it to your spell book (and possibly the list of rituals anyone can learn, as there's no 'secret skill tree'?).

Lots of maybes, probablys and guessing there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What We Know So Far - Armour   What We Know So Far - Armour Empty

Back to top Go down

What We Know So Far - Armour
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nation of Urizen :: Public Boards :: General Chat-
Jump to: